Saturday, March 31, 2012

Mom's Eggplant Parmesan

Yummy, Sister!  That milkshake looks soooo delicious, I can't wait to try it.  Makes me really miss you :)  I know what you mean about kids not eating what you cook sometimes - Megan is pretty picky too, so I never know with these recipes what she will actually eat or not.  I could probably just cook Mac&Cheese, chicken nuggets, grilled cheese sandwiches or turkey burger patties every night, and they'd be happy.  What do your kids like the best?  

Last night I made Mom's Eggplant Parmesan.  Yum!  I love this recipe because it's like eating a lasagna without the noodles & carbs!  Let me know if you already make this!!  You're the best with spices in your sauces :), so I bet your version is even tastier!


SAUCE: Saute 3 cloves of garlic & half an onion in oil.  Add ground turkey and cook.
Stir in your favorite red marinara sauce with fennel seeds, salt & pepper to taste. Simmer.
EGGPLANT: Peel and slice 2 eggplants, slices should be about 1/2 inch thick.  Lay the slices in a Pyrex casserole dish, add water, cover and cook in the microwave for 5-10 minutes until the eggplant is cooked.
CASSEROLE:  Assemble layers like a lasagna - sauce, eggplant, mozzarella cheese, etc. and top with mozzarella. (Sometimes I assemble one large casserole, or sometimes I split it into two smaller sized ones.  Depends on if I want leftovers or not, or how many are eating.  I'll either freeze the extra or give it to a friend).
COOK: In oven at 350 until bubbly, about 20 minutes.  I like raising the temp at the end to 425 and browning the cheese a little.

Love you, sister!  Have a great weekend!
Hugs to you and the kiddos,
Me 

P.S. Megan did NOT eat this ... but when Mom is here and makes it, she loves it.  Argh!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment