Sunday, March 25, 2012

Mom's Beef Stroganoff (slightly modified)

Hi Sister!  Brian requested beef stroganoff for his birthday dinner on Friday, so I thought I would post the recipe on our blog.  It may not look too pretty in the picture, but it's so delicious and creamy!  Definately one of our favorite family recipes to make!  As I am writing this post, I realize that many of my friends don't like cooking with canned mushroom soup ... how do you feel about it?  There are of course many other ways to make a creamy beef stroganoff, but mushroom soup reminds me so much of growing up, that I don't hesitate at all. The kids love mushroom soup sauce so much that I sometimes make it just for them with noodles, nothing else.  I also like making Mom's tuna casserole and tuna over toast, both which have mushroom soup.  Brian makes green bean casserole with mushroom soup too, and his Dad makes a delicious beef with mushroom sauce and rice.  So, obviously we're fans!  I hope you like it too :) If not, an easy replacement for the soup would be cream cheese or putting the effort into making a cream based sauce from scratch with butter, flour, cream, etc.   But here is our family recipe:

At the grocery store, just ask the butcher for the best cut of beef for stroganoff and have them slice it for you so you don't have to do it at home!  I like beef tenderloin, but beef sirloin steak is good too!  Pick up 2 cans of mushroom soup, 1 small onion, 1 package of pre-sliced mushrooms, 1 package egg noodles, and 1 small container of sour cream.

At home, slice your onion into long strips and start a pot of water on the stove for the pasta. 
Sear your strips of meat in a hot pan with vegetable oil (or butter), salt and pepper, then turn down the heat a bit and saute your sliced onion with the meat. 
When the onions turn clear and the meat is mostly cooked, add the mushrooms.
Once mushrooms are soft, stir in a can of mushroom sauce with some milk until you like the consistency (here is the change from mom - replace sherry with milk, or beef stock).  Add a little sour cream if you want to, salt and pepper.
Let the sauce simmer on low so the flavors get mixed together, taste it again and add what you want.  (Remember when we were growing up tasting it over and over to get it right!  So funny!) 
Serve over hot noodles.

Enjoy, my sister!  A little taste from home.  I miss you! 
Love, Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment