Saturday, March 10, 2012

Ginger soy salmon

Sister, before I tell you about the surprise ingredient, let me say that this recipe is the MOST delicious, moist, and flaky salmon I have ever had!!! I've adapted the original recipe from Jeremy's family and added a side dish of sauteed vegetables that is one of Mom's staple dishes. Having my kitchen filled with the aroma of onions and red peppers, with fish in the oven, brings me back to Piedmont in a very nice way. Served with a small portion of rice (choose white or brown, whichever you prefer), salmon is a wonderful, healthy meal filled with omega-3's and other wide-ranging benefits for the body. Sister, I'm still debating, and researching, the pros and cons of farm-raised versus wild. The salmon I purchased today from Safeway was "ocean raised" which I thought meant was raised in the....ocean....but alas, no, as the butcher told me, it was raised on a farm in the water. If you have experience with this, let me know!!

1/2 pound salmon (per person)
Fresh ginger, finely chopped
Soy sauce (I prefer the light)
Salt and pepper (I use the McCormick's Grinder so they're freshly ground each time)

Red pepper
Onion
Zucchini

And the surprise ingredient...

Mayonnaise!!

So first place the salmon skin side UP on a pan or flat cookie sheet. Broil (low) in the oven for 6 minutes. Take out of the oven, flip the salmon over, skin side down. Sprinkle lightly with soy sauce, salt & pepper, fresh lemon juice, and apply mayonnaise (just a little bit) and ginger evenly. Place back in the oven on broil for 6 more minutes or until cooked thoroughly.

While the salmon is cooking, saute sliced red peppers, onion, and zucchini in an iron skillet with a little bit of olive oil. I tossed in some of the remaining ginger as well. For sauteing in general, and you probably already do this, Magdalena has taught me to use a *hot* skillet - let it heat up first, and then heat the oil - and THEN put in the veges. I always did it the opposite way - veges in the pan with the oil, heated up altogether. Ended up in a greasy, squishy mess.

Oh, and sister, I learned a good lesson tonight - do not use parchment paper when broiling. :) I almost burned down the kitchen for this salmon dish!! But so worth it...enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, YUM! This looks like it's from a restaurant! I am curious what Jeremy's family original recipe was? I love these family recipes you are posting. As for buying farm-raised vs. wild caught Salmon ... it's a hot topic for sure. I like the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch guide for help with buying seafood nowadays. Sounds like farm-raised in TANKS is OK, but best to avoid otherwise. Alaka caught Salmon is excellent. Check it out at: http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/SeafoodWatch

    ReplyDelete