Saturday, March 10, 2012

It's a Smoothie...not a milkshake!!!

Sister, two or three years ago my daily (well, okay, morning breakfast) smoothies included vanilla ice cream and sugary oatmeal packets. They were yummy and delicious! But yes, in fact, they were milkshakes, as you most accurately if not lovingly pointed out on several different occasions. :) So here we are, several years later, and I'm happy to report that even though I still make my famous strawberry & vanilla ice cream milkshakes for myself and the kids, I am now making what has been called "green monster smoothies" and they are amazing!! Healthy, vegan, and full of vitamins & antioxidants - they are low in sugar (because I don't use juice) and they are surprisingly tasty. For lunch today I made a blender-full, which amounted to about 24 ounces, and drank it all within a half hour. YUMMY. Here is the recipe which is simple, and adapted, with some guidance from Magdalena, from skinnytaste.com:

2-3 handfuls of fresh baby spinach (or frozen broccoli)
1 cup frozen chunks of pineapple
1/2 cup ice
1 cup soy (or almond) milk
1/3 - 1/2 cup plain oats
1 banana
1 handful of fresh blueberries

These are just approximate amounts - I tend to guesstimate according to how it all looks in the blender. Generally I like to fill it up all the way, so if there's room left, I add more spinach or berries, etc.

Enjoy Sister! I hope to get Jack & Maddie to try it....so far the mere mention of spinach or broccoli sends them running out of the room. :) Small steps forward.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Sister, this is definately NOT a milkshake recipe!! You are right about that. I will definately try this, it looks delicious and totally healthy ;) BUT be sure to post your original "smoothie" recipe from back in the day! I've never tried a smoothie or milkshake with oatmeal, so I need to try that out too :)

      Delete