Monday, February 27, 2012

Two Years Later....I'm learning how to cook!!


Sister!! I told you I wanted to post something on our blog, and here it is! I can't believe it's been two years since we started this project. I hope we can start posting more regularly, now that the kids are getting older and (at least for me) there is more time in the kitchen than previously.

I am teaching myself how to cook this year - sort of a New Year's resolution - and it's going well, albeit not without the occasional mistakes and errors (like using soy milk in a quiche instead of dairy....not, I repeat, not a good idea!) But I've enjoyed every minute and for the most part, so have the children.

This is Jewish Brisket, a recipe given to me by Shelley many, many years ago. She made it for the family on some of the holidays, and I loved it then - and now. Here is the recipe, which is easy and so delicious:

1. 2 pound brisket (first cut) or more if there's a larger party

- Rub salt, pepper, and garlic powder on both sides of meat.
-Place on rack in shallow pan and bake uncovered for 2 hours at 350.
-Let cool before slicing (thin slices)

2. Sauce

-1 large onion, chopped
-1/4 cup oil
-8 oz bottle ketchup
-1/4 cup brown sugar
-1/2 Tb vinegar
-1 Tb worcestershire
-1/4 Tsp dry mustard
-1/2 Tsp salt

Cook onions in oil until tender. Add all other ingredients and simmer 15 minutes. Put sliced meat and sauce in covered pan for 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until tender.

1 comment:

  1. Sister, this is DELICIOUS!!!!! Oh my gosh, it was so good. I highly reccommend this recipe to anyone reading our blog. We made hot brisket sandwiches with the leftovers and loved it. Thank you so much for posting this. Brian says "thank you" too :)

    ReplyDelete