Sunday, April 25, 2010

I (think) I can cook too!!

Hi Sister,

Okay, I'm very delayed in posting to our blog and it's due to one simple fact. No, it's not the divorce, or single motherhood, or a hectic social life in Washington (ha! doesn't that sound grand) or the various trips on which I've taken myself and the kids this Spring. No - it's because I really, truly cannot cook successfully! Or bake. But I think I can . . . I'm determined to try . . . and I've been attempting it more regularly over the past several weeks, with our blog as an incentive.

So I'm proud to present, as my very first post to you, this gorgeous, decadent banana-chocolate chip-coconut bread. I've been making chocolate chip-banana bread for years, as it's the one thing I can (kind of) do well, but not until last week did I have the inspiration to add a dash of coconut to it. The result? AMAZING. The inspiration? YOU! I was inspired after reading about your pineapple coconut muffins, which I thought were absolutely delicious when I had them with you last month. The memories of Hawaii that you posted were lovely, and I can't wait to read more about what is inspiring you in the kitchen as you continue to cook, bake, and blog! Our project is already working, and I'm so very delighted.

Banana-chocolate chip-coconut bread....

Preheat oven to 350

Whisk together thoroughly:
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder

In large bowl, beat:
5 1/3 TBSP unsalted butter
2/3 cup sugar

Beat in flour mixture until blended and the consistency of brown sugar.
Gradually beat in:
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Fold in until just combined:
4 bananas (my change - Joy of Cooking recipe calls for 2)
Lots of chocolate chips (hooray!)
Enough dried coconut - until it's thoroughly and evenly distributed (scrumptious)

Bake in oven for 50-60 minutes. Let cool in the pan on rack for 5-10 minutes before unmolding to cool completely on the rack. **Note that I did not follow the directions and instead, out of sheer enthusiasm, "unmolded" it straight from the oven and ate it. Delicious!!

From my kitchen to yours,
my heart to yours,
Your Sister

1 comment:

  1. Yum, Sister!!! I am so excited to try this recipe!! And perfect timing because I have 2 over-ripe bananas suffering in my refridgerater, waiting for me to bake them into something. I'll just have to scrouge up 2 more. BTW, I LOVE that you improved on the Betty Crocker recipe using 4 bananas instead of 2 -- so much better. And YES,you can cook! This bread looks delicious, so keep posting. I love you -- Lisa

    ReplyDelete